It has a busy couple of weeks here, but I wanted to make sure I left an Earth Day post. This has been a big year for the Earth in the photography world. Dawn Tacker and I launched Greener Photography this past Sept. and it has rapidly grown to an organization of almost 400 photographers who want reduce the impact photography has on the environment.
In fact, we've grown so fast, we had to stop accepting new members while we developed our Greener Photography Certification standards. This is the first of it's kind in photography. It will take the guess work out of knowing if a photography studio is green enough to call them self a green business. It's going to be fantastic!!
I've also re-written my environmental policy this year:
- We print double-sided on re-used and/or recycled paper.
- We refuse, reduce, re-use, recycle anything possible.
- We practice water waste and energy conservation.
- We offer discounts on our services for clients who choose other green vendors.
- We are actively seeking alternative printing methods and are pressuring the industry to print photographs on recycled fiber paper with soy inks.
- We offer press printed cards and photos on 100 percent PCW recycled paper from a press powered by wind energy.
I've been toying with some other ideas, such as planting a tree for every child we photograph. But I would love to hear from you!
What would you like to see a photography studio doing for the environment or for our clients? I welcome you ideas!!
Feel free to email me or leave your comments below.
Happy Earth Day!